They say when a heart breaks a million stars in the sky cry. Heart breaks are piercing and wrenching. It does not matter the number of times you fall in love, every time your heart breaks its like the very first time, your eyes well up with every thought, every fleeting memory, your chest clamps up and you sob to no end. Listening to songs stirs up memories of the lost love. Each of us in our lifetime have associated one or more songs to the person we love and if we did go about losing that love then whenever and wherever we hear that song it reminds us of them. Bollywood has for ages expressed love through their songs. We have hummed them in pain, danced to them at parties, cried with them in longing and spread happiness with them in festivity. Some of the songs at times feel like they were written just for what we are feeling, the lyrics state the affairs of the heart. Here is my pick of 10 heart aching songs that make me sob and remind me of all the love I lost in my life:
1. ‘Tadap tadap ke iss dil se aah nikalti rahi’ from the movie Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. Quintessential 90’s, the very popular Oh so wrenching and sad and relatable song!!! Copious amounts of tears have been shed on this song
2. ‘Tanhai’ song from the movie Dil Chahta hai. Loneliness expressed so beautifully in its lyrics. A tear jerker.
3. ‘Tujhe bhula diya’ from Anjaana Anjaani… a friend of mine would listen to this on loop when his heart broke assuring himself & others that he would and will forget the one he loved and lost.
4. ‘Tujhe yaad na meri aayi’ from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai..oh my heart aches at this one! Its such a melodious rendition about the one who never understood unconditional love.
5. ‘Tu hi re, tere bina main kaise rahoon’ from Bombay. A.R.Rehman touched every soul that ever listened to this song. The lyrics beautifully described the pain of separation.
6. ‘Who lamhe woh Baatein koi na jaane’ from Zeher…well articulated lyrics describing the memories of time spend together with the love you lost now.
7. ‘Agar Tum saath ho’ from Tamasha…beautiful expression of unrequited love.
8. ‘Chana Mereya’ from Ae Dil Hai Mushkil… vivid and soul stirring lyrics on the pain of parting ways with your love.
9. ‘Main Jahaan Rahoon’ from Namastey London… fleeting memories of the time spend with the one you loved and lost.
10. ‘Woh Lamhe Woh Baatein’ from Zeher…bitter moments in love life rendered delicately for that soul touching feeling.